The Florida Wildlife Corridor spans approximately 18 million acres of contiguous open space, more than 40% of the state. This land is home to Florida’s wildlife, the headwaters of many rivers and wetlands, and to vital working lands, including ranches and farms.
The Corridor consists of both public and private natural and working lands, including forests, swamps, fields, pastures, farmlands, and timberlands.
More than half (54%) of the Corridor – 9.6 million acres – is currently conserved, protected from future development. The remaining 8.1 million acres (46%) are considered opportunity areas for conservation. Each speaker explores the history of this vital connected landscape, the path taken to achieve designation and the road ahead as we envision the future.